Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Goal

In my reading on Mt. Everest I came across a webpage for an eighteen year old girl who has already climbed the tallest mountain on every continent. Albeit the girl, Samantha Larson, had a father who was already an experienced climber, there is still something to say about finding out that someone your age has already accomplished your own dreams and then some. Nonetheless, the fact that she climbed these mountains gives me a firmer belief in my own capability. But what does it mean for my own goals? Do I have to raise the ante of my own dreams? Has glory been seeped or made more acessible? I guess I am beginning to come to terms with the fact that there is always someone better than you at anything you do. Whether this is good or not is up to you, but it often does not seem to bide well with ourNeanderthal tendencies towards competition.

Anyway, a browsing of other blogs tell me that adventuring the world or climbing mountains just don't cut it when it comes to public interest. Audiences seem to like tangible goals and paths that they can follow there. It is for this reason that I have decided to make a declaration: I will climb Mt. Everest in March 2010. That is to say, I am going to do everything in my power to get to the top of this mountain before I reach drinking age. I have no money. I have very little climbing experience. Thus, the internet is one of my only means to solicit support and advice.

With a computer, camera and a dream I am curious to see whether the childhood mantra--that someone can do anything they set their mind to--will hold true.

No comments:

Post a Comment