Tuesday, July 28, 2009

First post

Hey,

I am a motivated college student who has always wanted to travel around the world. This blog was created a a tangible way to meet my goals, where I could chronicle the steps to my dreams with the world as an audience and a source of hope at times when the vision of my future seems impossible. My goal right now is to climb Mt. Everest, which has been an object of fascination since my childhood. As an amateur photographer, I intend to photograph my journey, with a lot of side tracks along the way.

My current training consists of lifting weights and running four days a week, which additionally helps in college athletics, where I am vice president of the University Rugby Team. I plan to enroll in a climbing class this school year, although my residence in Florida means that anything that I climb will be artificial. This only gives me more inspiration to transcend the boundaries of my daily world. While I love the area where I go to school, and the options it gives me as a major in marine science, I am constantly irked by the feeling that what I see is only the surface of worldly experience. In addition to taking classes, I am also surrounding myself with literature on Mt. Everest and climbing in general. I was particularly enticed by Into Thin Air, an Everest narrative by Jon Krakauer which--among the immense pain of life's lost on the mountain, and challenges endured to reach the summit--depicts a feeling which cannot be replicated anywhere else.

Anyway, this blog will include everything from personal photographs to book reviews to documentation on my progress. I am trying to live under the mantra that anyone who sets their mind to a goal can accomplish it, but am not so naive to think that I can climb the tallest mountain in the world without outside aid. It is ultimately my audience--family, friends and readers who believe in me--that will push me to the top. This is why I welcome advice and suggestions.

Pictures and progress coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment